At Kumospace, we're reimagining video chat to be as immersive and fun as possible. Our virtual spaces are designed like real spaces to provide context to interactions, helping people discover, build, and deepen relationships.
Our growth has been exponential – more than doubling month over month since we launched. Our team is fully remote, although we operate on US Eastern Time. We're looking for people who are passionate about using technology to transform how people interact online.
As a backend engineer at Kumospace, you'll be working on greenfield projects using the best technology for the job to deliver the most delightful experiences for our users. In addition, you will play a major part in deciding what we build and how we build it.
- Analytics pipeline. We want to better understand how people use Kumospace. What do social dynamics look like in Kumospace? What apps are the most popular? What keeps people coming back? We need a pipeline to collect all this information, store it, and transform it into actionable insights.
- WebRTC server. Existing video chat platform providers were not designed for large groups. We want to build our own WebRTC backend to support having hundreds of simultaneous participants in the same room. This would also greatly reduce our operating costs as well.
- Scalable backend. As Kumospace gets more popular, we'll need to manage and orchestrate all the different jobs and processes. Problems include load-balancing between WebSocket servers, post-processing image uploads, and no-downtime deploys.
What We're Looking For
- 5+ years experience in software engineering. We want you to hit the ground running when you join.
- Strong sense of product ownership and business impact. It's paramount that you care about the user experience and the impact of what you're building. This is a role where we agree on high level goals, and you'll be trusted to figure out the details. There won't be anyone constantly telling you what to do.
- Eagerness to learn new technologies. Our tech stack currently includes TypeScript, React, WebRTC (Twilio Video), NodeJS, and Google Firebase. We don't care if you're currently an expert of these technologies, but we do care that you'll be able learn quickly. Any experience related to video chat, video games, and audio processing are also a plus.